Sunday, March 29, 2009

matte de coca

well today is our last full day in peru. this whole ordeal has been so sick. yesterday we were asked our favorite highlights of the trip so far. we nearly unanimously agreed that the homestay on amantani island in lake titicaca and our community service project in socma were our favorites. This is mainly because these two things are things that normal tourists do not experience. most go from lima to cusco to machu picchu then back. but thankfully, we were given the opportunity (I don´t know how) to stay with peruvian families and then to help motivate a community to do something about the situation regarding education for their kids. In a run down school with only one teacher, we helped them build a stove and walls in order to keep the school open. This may not make sense why this helps keeps a school open but I cant really go into detail about it now. Just trust that what we did really helped a community and successfully motivated them. The night we camped out in front of the school was the first night I could really see the stars. it was epic. I had never viewed the sky from the southern hemisphere. I was quite stoked on the southern cross, a constellation that I had been wanting to see for some time.
The other day we hiked 10 miles on the inca trail. it was lovely weather for the first half then the rain came and gino, myself, and ethan charged bareback through the amazon slipping and nearly falling to our deaths over steep andean cliffs. Then machu picchu was awesome. oh and we ate ginuea pig. I ate the heart and gino ate the eyes and ethan and gino shared some brain. charrise would only eat the meat...lame. but we still love her. Well yesterday on the train ride back to cusco I chilled with some peruvian guy who was pretty good at english and we enjoyed a two hour conversation about socio economic and political problems, as well as coca leaves. I now feel that his insight helped me develop some sort of vision of how i can put into action at home my new awareness gained from these life experiences I have had in peru.
cya

No comments:

Post a Comment